Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Pallet Artwork

A couple of months ago I spotted a few pallets in an alley and decided to bring one home. The pallets appeared to have potential for some artwork for baby girls room and I think it turned out perfectly




How to create pallet art

Begin with an old pallet. I left mine outside for a month to "weather" it

Cut out a few boards from the pallet using a jigsaw

After arranging the boards use a nail gun to attach the boards to some scrap laminate flooring or whatever else you might have on hand (another board works well too). Trim the excess boards and backing using a jigsaw to give it a cleaner look


white paint and water created the "white wash" mixture


Apply white wash mixture with a dry rag, the more mixture you rub on the darker it will be. Let it dry
I found this free image from Graphics Fairy LLC . I printed the image and trimmed it


Using Mod Podge and a foam brush I wiped a generous amount onto the printed image

Lay the image flat onto the dried pallet boards (glue side down) and smooth out with your fingers. I let this dry for 24 hours

The next day I wiped the dry image with a damp cloth
Gently begin rubbing the damp paper off the boards
Be very careful not to rub the ink off the boards
Quickly realized that my piece was a tad to tall for the image so we removed the top 2 boards using a jigsaw.



 I think its just the right touch of whimsy!

and guess what!?
We are finally done a room!

Baby Girl Room
baseboards
art work
side table


Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your week


Amanda


16 comments:

  1. Good job, that is so neat, love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very very very beautiful, I love this silouette, its really cute for kid's room, very nice and authentic as well, congratulations on a great job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Erika! it was one of my favorite projects so far :)

      Delete
  3. Oh that is so very wonderful! Love the white-washed look and the image! Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Danni! be sure to check out graphics fairy as they have the best FREE images :)

      Delete
  4. Love this Amanda! Featuring you on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/iGottaCreate
    Thanks so much for linking up at I Gotta Create!
    <3 Christina

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christina, thanks so much for checking out my project and featuring me on your blog! an honor im sure :)

      Delete
  5. This looks really nice! I like how you used a black and white image!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved the idea.
    From a simple thing becomes a distinct work! Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative, I wish I had some time to do some of these neat things ;) great job

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. awww thanks! Believe it or not most of these projects dont take that much time. I usually try something out when the kids are in bed or sometimes on the weekend when the hubs is home. The table was the longest to do.. that project took months with only an hour here and there.

      Delete
  8. Your board looks amazing, great job!
    Greetings from Romania,
    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's so cute! I want to make one for my girls room, and I wonder if you have the name of the graphic, as in The Graphics Fairy there are billions...

    Thank you a lot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you should be able to find the image here http://graphicsfairy.blogspot.ca/2011/02/vintage-graphic-silhouette-children_19.html if the link does not work just search silhouette children. Good luck!!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!!