Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Rockin the PAPER MEDALLION

The master bedroom has zero artwork.. we have lived in our home for 6 months with mostly bare walls.
We had a number of pieces from our old home but very few have made the cut for our little bungalow. Our previous house was a new build with lots of brown and beige..  we felt like we had to decorate that space according to what the feel of the house was and not necessarily according to our own unique style. Unfortunately that left us with alot of pieces we didn't love. As much as I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to go out and purchase a ton of new things suited to our new place its just not a great idea while we are finishing renos and attempting to live on a single income.
My $4  Solution:

Go big or go home!

paper medallion - less than $4


I admit that I may have made it a tad too big and I wasn't going to put it up but dearest hubby said he thought it was cool and encouraged me to hang it anyway. Bless his heart!


Supply List
old book
cardboard
white poster board
glue gun
glue sticks

Select an old book, I picked this one up for free, a good year.. or so Ive been told. . The pages themselves were glossy but you could easily do regular sheets.


create your template, I traced an old laundry basket onto left over cardboard
from our moving boxes


Cut out your cardboard template and cut out another from white poster board. I glued the white poster board to the top of the cardboard in case I had any spots peeking out..
 I didn't want the brown cardboard to show.


Begin rolling your paper. I added a dab of glue to hold the roll and used more
glue to attach it to the cardboard template


Begin attaching rolls to the cardboard starting on the outside and work your way in. This project is done best over a few nights in front of the television and with a nice glass of wine.
 (wine is optional but helpful)
A cold glass of water is also recommended, not for drinking but to soothe the glue gun burns you will most likely get




once your medallion is complete you are ready to hang. You could also spray paint the entire thing to spice it up, I chose to keep it as is.


To hang the medallion I had hubby hold it against the wall  and I drilled a screw and washer directly through the centre into the wall. Originally I thought I would just add picture hardware to the back but because it turned out so large it was heavier than expected.. so the drill was the only solution I could think of.


Not bad for under $4 !!!


Master Bedroom
baseboards
artwork
feature wall



Thanks for looking
Amanda


20 comments:

  1. Ooh, this is so cool! I love how it looks. It's not too big.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you, the scale of it has grown on me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I'm so impressed! Thank you for sharing. Visiting from A Creative Princess. Would love it if you would share this at my Make it Pretty Monday party at The Dedicated House. http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-it-pretty-monday-week-8.html Hope to see you at the bash! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you very much, it makes such a huge impact in our room and it cost just under $4 including glue sticks!! I just visited pretty monday now, thanks for the invite :)

      Delete
  4. Very cool! I like how the images on the pages add a splash of color throughout. Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    Carrie
    http://fiveseventeenrepurposing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie
      thanks! I had considered spray painting it afterwards but i loved the natural look too much to tamper. Thanks for the kind words

      Delete
  5. Amanda, this would look fabulous in my living room! Guess what I'm doing tomorrow? ;)
    Thank you so much for joining us in Thursdays Favorite Things Blog Hop! With His grace, wishing you peace and many blessings to you and yours… Carla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Carla, I would love a photo to see how yours turns out :)

      Delete
  6. Gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing this week at our pin'inspiration party C:

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a great project! It would be fun to find an old book with holiday images -- I can just envision Santa images peeking out from the folds.

    Visiting from Share Your Cup Thursday.
    Debra

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Amanda, I have made these before and found them to be very fun. Yours may be large, but It's perfect for that spot. I think you did a great job. Isn't it fun to create something for so very little? Thanks so much for sharing with Share Your Cup. I could not see where to follow you.
    Hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
  9. you rock my creative world, love this! Thank you for your bloggy friendship and for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so stinkin' cool! I will be featuring you today. Thanks so much for sharing at Toot Your Horn Tuesday :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea! I might have to try this but spray paint it to match the colors in my master bedroom! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so beautiful in your room, gotta love art that costs nothing to make!

    ReplyDelete
  13. i like this, but i am a novice crafter. white side are the longest pieces. and starting second row is the paper shorter as you get to the middle?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, each cone is the exact same size however starting with the second row the cones are now beginning to be "stacked" the closer you get to the middle the higher the cones will stand giving the illusion of different lengths. Good luck!

      Delete

Thanks for your comments!!