Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pillow Talk

NO SEW pillows sound pretty good to me and this site was encouraging. I do not sew and after this attempt I apparently cannot glue either. A sad crafting day for me.

Here is what my no sew .. "hell no" pillow looked like once I was done butchering it:

one side seems almost presentable while the other clearly is not
the back is my favorite, somehow the flap shrunk when I underestimated the pouf of the pillow. Nothing a little glue couldn't solve.. ha ha!!
I quickly decided that I was not willing to sacrifice my pretty fabric from Hawthorne Threads and enlisted the help of my mom who owned a sewing machine and could operate it while I watched and ironed when needed.

this must be a vintage machine
measure your pillow and add 1 inch allowance before cutting


  a few hour later and thanks to my mom I had these beauties
love this pattern "ironwork in granite"
perfect for spring "sparrows in vintage yellow"

In addition to my new 4 pillows I had a sad looking grey pillow which was our test pillow.  The grey material was used on the back of my pretty pillows and it was a steal at just $3 per yard. It needed "something" and so I did a bit of embellishing with felt purchased at Michael's for $0.49 and this is what I ended up with



It took just a few minutes to do

freehand your flower and cut out of cardboard
trace and cut

while your cover is still stuffed, mark out where you would like to place your flowers

glue the smaller petal to the larger using fabric glue

add fabric glue to the back of your felt flower and place directly onto your pillow case

Lovin my new pillows!

Thanks for looking

Family Room
Baseboards
Area Rug
Make Pillows
Fireplace Makeover
Lengthen Curtains and Hang higher
Photo Wall
Large artwork
update sofa covers

9 comments:

  1. The pillows look great. I would have just hand stitched the white flowers onto the pillow though, who wants glue scratching them and they would be more durable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks I think they look great too! I definitely would have loved to hand stitch but sadly I have no clue how to do it thats why the idea of fabric glue was very exciting to me. The fabric glue actually worked really well and there is no scratching so far (my little guy has been snuggling them). I will keep you posted on durability as Im not sure what will happen once they go in the wash.
      thanks for your comment

      Delete
  2. You must really have one great mom!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the felt flowers. So easy but look so fab. I would love it if you would share this on Tout It Tuesday. http://www.claimingourspace.com/2012/08/tout-it-tuesday-19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing on Tout It Tuesday. Hope to see you tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Your pillow turned out great. Love the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all you pillows, great patterns and I like the white flowers against the grey material. All of them are so pretty and look great in your home! Thanks for sharing your creative inspiration with Sunday’s Best – you helped make the party a success!

    ReplyDelete
  6. those turned out great! i love the flower one, but am seriously in love with the bird one! thanks for linking up to tip-toe thru tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabric glue over here all day baby!! Way to go!! Love your patterns too!

    Thanks so much for linkin up with me last week! Hope you link up again on Sunday!
    Kristine from The Foley Fam {unedited} Blog

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!!