Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Garage Sales Rule!



We are living in a world of waste. There is so much packaging involved in everything we buy, things are disposable.. you break it just buy another. This is partly why I love thrift stores and garage sales. A refreshing opportunity to get a bargain and hopefully something unique while doing just a small part for the environment.

I'm thrilled that my 4 year old son is obsessed with garage sales! Each weekend usually after his ball hockey games he literally begs to check out a few sales. With his ziplock of coins we look for signs and see what treasures we can find. His eyes light up when he sees something he likes and he is very proud when he negotiates a better price. I am teaching him while he is young!!

Alex has purchased vintage He Man toys, a skateboard, dinosaurs , a DVD and a few other goodies. This week I felt pretty happy with my finds too!


25 cents for this gorgeous vase. Ive only seen them in plastic and this one is glass, after checking online I discovered it can be purchased for $50!

I love the style of this vase, it reminds me of my grandmother. Another great buy for 25 cents

I remember these from elementary school and they ooze character. This could potentially be seating in my entryway. For $1 each I will find a home for them

Old wooden toolbox - FREE
Trust me I've got ideas for this baby!




You never know what you will find at a yard or garage sale! Check one out this weekend


Garage Sale Tips

  1. Look beyond the dust and clutter, keep an open mind
  2. If you like it pick it up quickly or someone behind you may snag it
  3. Don't overpay! Negotiate ALWAYS... I usually start by offering 50 - 75% of the tag price or I ask to include a second item
  4. Bring lots of change and small bills. A garage sale will not be able to break a large bill
  5. Don't forget that you can spray paint items, change hardware, and make items cool again with a little love.
  6. HAVE FUN!



Thanks for stopping by

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!!